Weight Loss Challenge

>> Monday, March 1, 2010


So it begins...

My friend KH and I have been batting around the idea of doing a Biggest Loser-type competition for awhile now, and we're finally biting the bullet and doing it. We both have from now until May 16th to lose more weight (as a percentage of your starting weight) than the other.

I'm pretty excited. I've been trying to lose 20 pounds now for awhile, but between school and general lack of motivation (and probably vanity sizing as well), it's just something I keep talking about. I have, however, made a couple steps lately to pick up the pace.

First, I consulted with a dietitian, who talked to me about my eating habits, and gave me a TON of advice about eating right. The best part is she really tailored the information to my lifestyle and likes and dislikes. No one size fits all suggestions! (If you're in the Boston area and are considering this, let me know! She is amazing!)

Second, I finally got serious about running. MK and I "ran" a half marathon last May. I say "ran" in quotes because it was a lot of run-for-a-mile-or-two-then-walk. Then run. Then walk. It was painful. It didn't help that we didn't train for a good two months before the actual half marathon either. After the half marathon, I would run on and off, and finally in late November/early December got a bit more serious about it - as in, I tried to incorporate it more heavily into my schedule.

When January rolled around, it was time to start training, and I was doing okay for a couple weeks, and then I completely fell off the wagon for 2 straight weeks! I'm back on track though, and even went and got myself fitted properly for running shoes.

The good news is that in the couple weeks since I met with my dietitian and started exercising regularly again, I think I've lost about a pound, pound and a half. I'm psyched about this!

How about everyone else out there? Anyone want to join in KH's and my weight loss challenge?

3 comments:

ashley March 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

yay good for you! im just trying to be more active and do a little cardio and strength everyday. it's paid off so far and it makes me feel good inside. how much does it cost to see a dietitian? and btw, i had so much fun shopping on friday! hope we get go again another time!

Jenny March 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

She charges $75 for a 45 minute consultation, and $60 for each 30 minute follow-up, but I have to tell you it is SO worth it. There are a lot of things I don't like to eat, and she helped me figure out the best things to eat. And the best part is, she doesn't even tell you that you can't eat stuff - I can still eat french fries and candy if I want to!

We should definitely go again! I have spring break in a couple weeks, so we could do something then (doesn't have to be shopping) :)

Julia March 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

Oh boy, I also need to get back in shape :( I've probably gained almost 10 pounds since I saw you back in November!! I love running in the summer, but I just lose my motivation when it's cold and I'm confined to the treadmill. I'd love to consult with a dietitian, I am such a picky eater and could use more healthy eating ideas! Good luck with your diet and exercise plan!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP